Horsesmouth Editor’s Note: For the last 10 years, Horsesmouth has been bringing their readers the Top 10 most popular articles of the year during the holiday season. From more than 500 articles published in 2016, advisors rated this article as the #3 article of the year.
At Executive Transformations, we believe the ability to leverage your existing book for more assets, revenue and referrals begins and ends with a superior client service model. Often, when initially instituting a high touch client contact schedule, advisors are unsure as to how to touch their clients in ways that will add to and cultivate the relationship.
Contrary to what is deeply engrained in every advisor at an early age, not all client contact has to be by phone. A good client touch can be a phone call, a meeting, written comments on a news story, a non-business related “extra” based on a client interest or a simple goodwill piece sent around a holiday. However, the best touch is the one that gets clients talking to you, and about you to their friends.
The following is an updated version of our Stock Market Quiz. It’s the piece I sent out when I was an advisor that generated more feedback from clients than any other written touch I ever used. For weeks after, clients were still talking about how they did on the Stock Market Quiz. Many clients even shared it with their friends which is the best form of advertising there is.
I sent it with the questions on one page and the answers on a separate page. If you choose to send it via email, I’d attach the quiz as one document and the answers in a second document. Include a note encouraging clients to let you how they did and see how their friends do on the quiz.
Clients are likely to view it as a welcome break from market volatility, world volatility and this year, election volatility. Have a little fun with your clients and receive some unsolicited word-of-mouth exposure at the same time!
Stock Market Quiz
1. How many stocks were on the original Dow Jones Industrial Average?
2. Where was the first U.S. Stock Exchange located?
3. What four companies are traded on the NASDAQ exchange but listed on the Dow Jones Industrial Average?
4. How much is a “ton of money” assuming your ton is measured in new $20 bills?
5. What is the only original stock still listed on the Dow Jones Industrial Average?
6. What year did the Dow Jones Industrial Average close above 1000 for the first time?
7. What has been the longest listed company on the New York Stock Exchange?
8. Has the national debt ever been fully paid off?
9. Who was the first American to make $100 Million?
10. Who was the first U.S. President in office to visit the New York Stock Exchange?
Stock Market Quiz Answers
1. Answer: 12
2. Answer: Philadelphia in 1790
3. Answer: Apple, Cisco, Intel and Microsoft
4. Answer: $19.6 Million
5. Answer: General Electric
6. Answer: 1972
7. Answer: Con Ed
8. Answer: Only once in 1835-1836 under President Andrew Jackson. This was the only time any modern nation has eliminated its national debt.
9. Answer: Al Capone
10. Answer: Ronald Reagan 1985
So how did you do? Did you ace it? Clients have a lot of fun with this touch, no matter how they score. More importantly, they’re thinking of you when they do it, and when they share it with their spouse, siblings, co-workers and friends.
Remember, whenever you have an opportunity to generate that unsolicited word-of-mouth exposure, snag it! Send the stock market quiz out to your clients, chat with them about how they scored, and encourage them to see how their friends do on it. It’s the easiest publicity effort you’ll ever make!
Do you have the 9 Systems every advisor needs to be successful? Get your business under control, increase assets and revenue and build confidence with this step-by-step 9 Systems Quick-Start Guide.